Tuesday, June 8, 2010

8 June - Day 117


Keep Left. This was not a familiar sign when I first arrived in Australia but now that I have finally managed to get used to driving on the opposite side of the road, I am much more comfortable when it appears. When I first arrived in Perth and "M" took me for a practice drive in his manual Subaru, I was totally confused. I couldn't figure out which was the gas peddle and which was the clutch. Everything seemed completely backwards. After about 5 minutes, I told him there was no way that I was going to learn how to drive on the left and how to drive a "backwards manual" at the same time. I've kept my word and haven't driven his car since. Instead, I'm now comfortable driving my Ford and have only found myself on the US side of the road a few times, thankfully before any harm came to anyone. I can honestly say it took me 1 year to feel at ease when driving and I no longer have to use my saying of "wide right, close left" when turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment