Tuesday, May 25, 2010

25 May - Day 103



I went to an American Chamber of Commerce in Australia breakfast meeting this morning. The topic was "Managing the Melting Pot - Insights Into Managing Western Australia's Increasingly Global Workforce." Speakers from several different companies provided their perspectives on building and developing culturally aware leaders and embracing diversity. One of the first things that struck me when moving to Australia was the cultural diversity of people, seemingly from every country. What amazed me even more was how many people from other cultures and ethnicities had been raised in Australia and therefore had Australian accents. In the meeting this morning, I learned that over 20% of people living in Australia were born overseas. We were asked by the presenter to raise our hands if we were born overseas and well over 20% of people raised their hands, including me. It's great to live in such a multicultural city.

No comments:

Post a Comment